The SD-Core project is a 5G/4G disaggregated mobile core implementation optimized for deployment in the public cloud. SD-Core exposes standard 3GPP interfaces for those wishing to use the project as a conventional mobile core, but it is also pre-integrated with an adapter available as part of the Aether ROC subsystem for those wishing to deploy mobile-core-as-a-service as a SaaS solution.
SD-Core leverages control plane components of the Free5GC project and the ONF OMEC project, building on both of these upstream open source projects by adding cloud native capabilities for scaling, resiliency and multi-cloud agility. It also includes three separate User Plane Function (UPF) implementations, and all of which are designed to be deployed throughout the edge of the network with each optimized for specific use cases:
- Maximum performance: P4-UPF - a hardware-based dual-mode 4G/5G UPF implemented in P4 language optimized for high-throughput low-latency applications, with UPF packet processing offloaded into Intel Tofino P4 switching silicon.
- High throughput on Intel servers: DPDK-UPF - a software-based dual-mode 4G/5G UPF, optimized for Intel® Xeon® using DPDK, supporting any I/O option (SR-IOV, AF_PACKET, AF_XDP), and scalable to 100 Gbps on Intel Ethernet Network Adapter E810 with Dynamic Device Personalization (DDP).
- Maximum flexibility to run on any cloud: Flex-UPF - a software-based dual-mode 4G/5G UPF UPF implementation for campus and multi-cloud, implemented with eBPF and optimized with AF_XDP to make it suitable to run on any variety of CPU (to be available later this year).
Learn more about SD-Core here: https://opennetworking.org/sd-core/
Read the recent press release: https://opennetworking.org/news-and-events/press-releases/onf-announces-new-cloud-native-software-defined-sd-core-project-addressing-5g-mobile-core/
Key People & Communication Channels
Technical Steering Team (TST)
The Technical Steering Team is the group of people responsible for the technical direction of the project. As of April 2022, the SD-Core TST consists of the following members:
For technical questions and discussion, we highly recommend posting to the mailing lists, where the entire community can benefit from the answer.
- There are currently no community/project meetings scheduled. Please join the above mailing lists and slack channels to carry on the conversation.
SD-Core documentation website
Google Drive (Public folder)
- The github repos can be found at:
- (NOTE: each company has a custom login for the ONF documentation sites and helm charts. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request one).
We expect all ONF employees, member companies, and participants to abide by our Code of Conduct. If you have any questions or concerns, please notify a member of the ONF team or email email@example.com.